Developing Blended Learning Environments
At KICS, education technology is used throughout the school to promote the development of student learning opportunities.
In our blended learning environments, students can be seen using iPads, laptops, other mobile tools, and online digital resources as natural extensions of the classroom. Students interact with one another – both face to face and digitally – to build their knowledge by sharing work, asking questions, researching concepts, developing ideas, and expressing views. Technology is used to aid students in completing these actions so they can access more knowledge and make deep long lasting understandings.
To support this, KICS has developed an exemplary technology integration program. Professional development for teachers is provided in house, and assistance is provided for teachers to receive advanced PD outside of school.
KICS students and staff are provided with devices to enable them to engage:
- Students in Little KICS to Year 4 used shared sets of iPads.
- Students from Years 5 through 7 are provided with school issued iPads.
- Students in Years 8 to 13 are provided with school issued MacBooks.
- All teachers are provided with a MacBook.
- Other mobile tools, such as virtual headsets, wireless projectors, and smart phones, and sound systems are available.
IT Resources at KICS
- Internet - Whole school access to the Internet is available through one 20 Mbps fiber optic line, and one 10 Mbps wireless line. All instructional spaces, administration offices, libraries and student areas of the school have wireless access to network and internet resources.
- Network - All sections of the school, administrative offices, libraries and other areas of the school are connected via a fibre optic backbone supporting a 100 Mbps LAN. The school's network is powered by a collection of servers and virtual servers to support all digital learning and management systems.
- Security – effective firewalls, virus and malware protection, spam and internet filters, backup systems, and redundant power supplies are used to keep the IT infrastructure secure.
- Learning Management System - KICS uses Moodle, referred to as ‘KicsLearns’ for our virtual learning environment. Classes from Little KICS to year 13 have online classrooms where students and teachers can interact and engage in the learning environment.
- Online Educational Systems - The school subscribes to online services like Seesaw, Reading A-Z and Managebac to further support student learning through portfolio building, planning, reporting, reading, and blogging. Managebac is the leading online learning platform for IB world schools. KICS ManageBac is the core repository of the school’s curriculum and academic records, including attendance, assessment, coursework, exams and behaviour. It allows students and their parents to digitally track their progress throughout the year, keep an e-portfolio, copies of reports and use a planning calendar. In addition, IB Diploma students can effectively track their Core Subjects (ToK, EE, and CAS).
- School Management Systems- KICS also uses Ed-Admin, referred to as Ronnie, a web-based integrated school information and management system for admissions school finance, community access and extra-curricular activities.
- Website and Social Media sites - KICS has an informative user-friendly content-rich website that is regularly updated to show school information, news, events, and celebrations. Our Twitter and Facebook accounts enhance the dynamic between the school community.
- Library Management System - Oliver is our web based library inventory service encompassing cataloging, circulation, inventory, and public access.
Technology policies and procedures, Student and Teacher Acceptable Use Agreements and security are in place for students, parents, staff, and the community. These policies and procedures are regularly reviewed and updated.